I am not much of a reader but I do find interest in books once I find a series to keep me hooked. I never liked reading very much when I was a younger kid and I wish I would have done more to make myself read. When I read it gives my brain a break and gives me mental clarity. It is relaxing and passes time. I could have really benefited from it in high school for sure. It would have helped to keep me out of trouble and experience more learning through books.
When I was a senior in high school I started reading series of books that my librarian requested and she said I would love them and they would get me hooked. That is when I fell in love with reading. Those experiences made me want to go and read books. It had an influence on my attitude toward reading books.
5 Key Moments
- When I was a senior in high school or English teacher made us read a book that when I saw the title I was very judgmental. I thought the book looked old and that it was going to be an old time story and I wasn’t going to like it. The lesson I learned from this is “you can’t judge a book by its cover” and “you never know if you like it until you start reading the book.”
- The other key moment is some people have different views on books and have their own opinions. There will be books that don’t get you “hooked” but that doesn’t mean that someone else doesn’t like the book. I have tried to read the Twilight series and I like the books, but it took me longer to “get into the book” than others.
- I’ve also read books that have influenced my life through sports, activities, and even academics. I would have never thought that reading could influence how I handle certain situations in my life. Like I said I’m new to the whole reading thing, so if anyone has any recommended books or series to read please let me know!
- Currently I am hooked on mystery books. They make it so I want to keep reading and get to the end of the book to find out everything. These books will always catch my attention and make me think of certain predicts that could happen at the end, which is engaging my brain while reading.
- Right now in college it is hard to find time to read but I always find a time in the evening right before bed to read at least a chapter of a book. I do wish I would have read more in my younger years just because I think it is a key part in learning and is beneficial to students. I will make it so my kid has all the accessibility to books. I’m sure I’ll have more things in life to say how I feel about being a reader, but I can’t wait!